Saturday, March 21, 2009

Babies first lamb shanks

It's funny how I have 2 totally different sons! Tyler my first (nearly 3 years old) would have a little taste of anything offered then turn away. In fact he is still the same. If it's the choice between playing or eating, playing always wins! Flynn on the other hand, LOVES TO EAT. So far we've mastered the cereals, fruits and veggies so I figure it's time to bring in the big boys. The one food Tyler did love was my shanks. So time for Flynn to give it a go.

Shanks are a great meat to introduce to babies because once cooked the meat is so soft and sweet and it will provide a ton of nutrients including iron to bub. The best part from babies perspective is he/she can have a great munch on the shank bone at the end! I think this is Flynn's favorite part!?

See how you go with this recipe. Feel free to add more vegies...

Easy Peesy Lamb Shanks with Vegies

1 small frenched lamb shank
1 tbs flour
1 tbs oil
½ small onion, diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
1 small carrot, diced
200gm can crushed tomatoes
1 cups water or vegetable stock
2 Qubies containers (http://www.qubies.com.au/)

Turn on oven to 100 Degrees.
Dust the shank with the flour.
Place oil in a large oven proof saucepan and turn to medium.
Brown shank. Remove from saucepan and place aside for now.
Place onions in saucepan on a low heat till softened, then add the zucchini and carrots.

Continue cooking for another 10 mins or until all the veggies are soft.
Add crushed tomatoes, stock and the shank. Bring to the boil.
Place lid on saucepan and move to oven.

Cook for approx 2 hours, or until meat falls away easily from the bone.
Remove from oven and let cool a little. Remove bones and puree to the desired texture.

Pour puree in to your Qubies Tray and freeze ready to use.

At meal time I will use 1 or 2 cubes of shanks and I will add another cube of vegetable such as sweet potato or pumpkin.

Good luck and please, let me know how you go!

2 comments:

  1. Alex, thank you for posting this fantastic 'get some veggies into you' recipe! I made it for my daughter Charlotte - and not being a 'gourmet' - thought it would turn out rubbish, but it was so easy and actually delicious. Next time I make it, I'll put some aside (before the puree stage!) for my husband and I. Keep posting - just love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your lamb shanks recipe. It is easy and still manages to suit the taste buds of all of the boys in my house. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete